Homemade coleslaw is so easy to make and far superior to a supermarket pack. This is where a little extra effort goes a long way. Not only is it better, you actually will yield more for less money than it costs to buy a pack from the supermarket.
I make this at home a lot as Claire and I love a good homemade coleslaw. Whenever we have a BBQ, this is one of the salads I make a big bowl of for friends and family to enjoy.
All you need is a few carrots, a red onion, mayonnaise and 1/4 of a cabbage. (I like to use savoy cabbage).
Slice your onion, super fine into strips. Take out the outer leaves and wash the cabbage, and slice into thin strips also.
Then peel and grate the carrots, add a good dollop of mayonnaise, salt and pepper and mix well. If you like it creamier, add a little more mayonnaise.
So simple yet super fresh and yummy.
Variations of this coleslaw could be:
- Use white onion instead of red.
- Add chopped basil and chopped tomatoes.
- Chop some parsley for colour.
- Add a dollop of whole-grain or English mustard to spice the slaw up a little.
- Use white or red cabbage instead of Savoy cabbage.
- Slice in some strips of red pepper for colour and crunch.