Here’s a beautiful family style Bread & Butter pudding I made at work recently, an English classic dessert.
My mum and Nan have been asking for months since lockdown to make them one, sorry, it’s coming soon. 🙂
This great Bread & Butter pudding recipe will wow your friends and family. Super luxurious with extra cream used in the custard mixture. Glazing at the end with castor sugar gives it a delicious crunchy topping.
To get going, I first make the egg custard mixture and allow it to cool and then get onto assembling the Bread and Butter pudding.
In a pan, I heat to simmer the milk, cream and split vanilla pod. (Be careful not to heat up too fast as the milk/cream will boil over the pan). I then whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. I pour over and mix the hot cream liquid over the egg yolks and sugar and allow to cool.
To assemble, butter slices of bread on one side, cut off the crusts and cut into triangles.
Rub some butter around the ovenproof dish, assemble the triangles of bread to make a layer on the bottom of the dish, sprinkle with a little sugar and raisins like above.
Then pour over the custard mix and repeat for another 2 layers, pouring over the remaining custard mix. Place your dish in another tray with a tea towel underneath to prevent sliding. Pour hot water around the tray and bake at 120°c for 35-45 minutes.
Once cooked to your liking, sprinkle a good amount of castor sugar on top of the B & B. Now glaze with a blow torch or grill quickly under a grill.
Serve with either fresh cream, custard or ice cream. Divine and delicious.Print
A classic English pudding, sure to wow your guests.
- 12 slices of white bread
- 80g butter, room temp. (for spreading on the bread)
- 50g castor sugar
- 50g raisins
- 450g Double cream
- 150g Milk
- 140g Egg yolks
- 175g Castor sugar
- 1 x Vanilla pod
30-50g castor sugar
- Firstly make the custard by heating the milk, cream and split vanilla pod in a pan.
- Add the yolks and sugar into a large bowl and gently whisk together.
- Once the milk and cream mixture comes to a simmer, pour it over the egg yolks and sugar, mix gently with the whisk to combine. Allow to cool and take out the vanilla pod.
- Spread butter over each slice of bread on one side and cut off the crusts.
- Then cut into triangles.
- Spread a little butter around an oven-proof baking dish.
- Place together the triangles of bread to form a layer on the bottom.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar and raisins.
- Pour over a little custard mix on the layers.
- Repeat this for the remaining 2 layers then pour over more custard.
- While the Bread and Butter pudding is soaking up all the custard mix, preheat the oven to 120°c.
- In a larger tray than the Bread & Butter pudding dish, place a tea towel on the bottom, add the B & B on top, pour hot water in the tray and around the B & B dish so it is halfway up the dish.
- Bake for 30-45 mins at 120°c. (30 mins for slightly runny or longer for a firmer B & B)
- With an oven cloth, take the B & B out of the oven and out of the tray.
- Sprinkle over castor sugar and glaze with a blow torch until golden brown. (you can caramelise it under a hot grill also).
- Serve along with cream, custard or ice cream if desired.
Be careful when bringing the milk and cream to simmer as it will quickly boil over if you don’t watch it.
Cook for 30-40 minutes at 120°c for a slightly runny Bread and butter pudding or longer for a firmer B & B.
I use just egg yolks in this recipe and you can save the egg whites for my pavlova recipe with strawberries and cream. https://popupchef.uk/strawberry-pavlova/
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: Bread & Butter pudding