This is a healthy salad that is great as a mezze side dish. Smoky, lemony and full of flavour.
This would be perfect with a nice grilled piece of fish such as Sea bass or Sea trout.
Or if you are vegetarian, a mezze platter of falafel, hummus, grilled flatbread and crudites would be fantastic also with this smoked aubergine salad.
To get the smoky flavour, you pierce the aubergines all around with a fork and cook them over a low flame or on a hot grill pan. You burn the skins and keep turning as you cook the aubergines. This gives the flesh a really smoky flavour.
Once the aubergines are cooled, you scrape out the flesh and sit in a sieve to drain excess liquid. Then mix with your finely diced onion, garlic, chopped tomatoes and parsley. Mix all together with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.Print
2 x large aubergines
1 x lemon juice
1 x clove of garlic
½ of red onion
8 x baby cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Piece your aubergine all around with a fork and grill on a pan or griddle all around for 20 to 25 minutes. Keep turning as you are cooking the aubergines every 2 minutes. Don’t worry if the aubergine skin burns, this will be discarded.
- Once your aubergines are soft and skins fully burnt, take off to cool.
- Half your aubergines and scrape out the flesh, be careful not to scrape any skin into the flesh.
- Let the flesh sit in a sieve to drain excess juices. Discard the skins.
- In a bowl, fine dice the red onion.
- Microplane the garlic or finely crush to a paste, add to the bowl.
- Chop up roughly the drained aubergine flesh and add to the bowl.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the parsley and add to the bowl.
- Mix all together in a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, Maldon salt and pepper.
- Serve on a plate with extra lemon and chicory to decorate.
You can smoke the aubergine on a naked low flame also. Keep turning as you are cooking.
Sign up for PopUp Chef's latest recipes and chef secrets!
Enter your name & email.