Beautiful soft burger buns are fabulous for a meaty or veggie burger. They are even great for a nice roast pork sandwich.
These for me are a cross between a burger bun and a brioche bun.
First, you activate the yeast in warm water, milk and sugar for 5 minutes until foamy. Then you rub the flours with the salt and butter. Add the egg and combine all together with the milk yeast mixture.
The key is to not add extra flour while kneading the dough as they will become less soft. Use 2 scrapers to slap back and forth as it will be slightly sticky to move. Or if you have, use a food mixer. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Let prove in a covered bowl for 2 hours, tip: lightly oil your dough to help not stick to the bowl while rising.
Then roll into 8 balls and let prove again on a tray with greaseproof paper for 2 more hours.
Once your buns have fully risen, heat your oven to 200°c. Place a tray with water at the bottom on the oven and cook your burger buns for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. (turn around halfway during baking). Allow cooling.
Serve with a delicious burger or roast pork sandwich, like below.Print
230ml of warm water
40 ml of warm milk
2 tbsp of active yeast or 1 tbsp active dried yeast.
2 tbsp sugar
1 x large egg
375 grams of bread flour
40 grams plain flour
35 grams of butter
1 egg and 1 tbsp of water (for egg wash)
½ tbsp of salt
- In a glass measuring jug, add your warm water and milk, add the sugar, and yeast, mix together. (Make sure your water is lukewarm, body temperature.) Let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Mix the flours in a bowl with the salt. Rub the butter into the flour.
- Make a well in the bowl and add the beaten egg and yeast foamy milk mixture. Combine together.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes on an unfloured service with a scraper, slapping it back down on the service until smooth and elastic. (I did use a little flour, which if you do, it will make it more of a bready texture)
- Place the dough into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and let rest for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Take out the dough and portion into 8 portions, roll into balls and place on greaseproof, on a tray. Cover with a light tea towel to rest again for 1½ hours again.
- Heat the oven to 200°c / 400°f.
- Beat the 1 egg & water for the egg wash, brush the buns over the top.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Place a shallow tray of water in the bottom of the oven to create a little steam while cooking the buns.
- Bake your soft burger buns for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown on top. Turn the tray around halfway through cooking.
- Allow cooling completely.
Keywords: Soft Burger Buns
Sign up for PopUp Chef's latest recipes and chef secrets!
Enter your name & email.