Crunchy, soft, sweet and creamy. Just a few words to describe how good Strawberry Pavlova is. These little pillows of meringue, whipped cream and fresh strawberries are pure indulgence.
Perfect for a summer’s day lunch or afternoon tea. Or infact, anytime you fancy if you’re like my wife.
While PopUp Chef has been in lockdown, Le wifey has been quietly dreading what is next while at the same time, enjoying every mouthful. “how can I be thin again if you keep cooking like this” She groans.
I say, what shall we have tomorrow? Bread & butter pudding or Creme Brulee? we chuckle.
So on with how to make Pavlovas. You get your egg whites in a clean bowl and with a hand mixer or food mixer like above, you whisk your whites to firm peak, then turn down the speed and slowly add spoon after spoon of the icing sugar and cornflour. You will see it becomes glossy and shiny.
Then you put your French meringue mix into a piping bag with a star nozzle ready to pipe like the video below.
Heat your oven to 100°c and once your pavlovas are piped onto a tray, you bake for 30-40 minutes.
What your looking for is, firm enough to lift off the tray and still soft in the centre.
(tip, lift the greaseproof up and pull away from the meringues, rather than picking up the meringues) If the meringue is sticking to the greaseproof, it may need a little longer to cook.
Surprisingly easy to make and so fun to eat. Super yummy and very moreish so maybe go for a run to burn up some calories to not feel too guilty. 🙂Print
Beautiful soft and crispy meringue makes the best Pavlova with strawberries and cream.
200 grams of egg whites.
400 grams of icing sugar.
1/2 tbsp Cornflour
1 tsp white wine vinegar
600 grams double cream
20 grams of icing sugar
300 grams of strawberries
Making the meringue
- Heat your oven to 100°c.
- Separate your egg whites from egg yolks.
- Weight 200 grams of egg whites.
- Place your egg white in a very clean mixer and whisk to firm peak.
- Add spoonful after spoonful of icing sugar and the cornflour.
- It will become glossy and shiny. Whisk in the white wine vinegar.
- Put your meringue into a piping bag with a star nozzle.
- Pipe onto a tray with greaseproof paper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of meringue.
- Peel away the greaseproof from the meringue to see if it is ready.
- Whip up some double cream to soft/firm peak. Add a little icing sugar and mix for 5 more seconds.
- Wash and cut up your strawberries.
- Assemble your meringue, cream and strawberries to serve.
You want the meringue to be soft in the centre and easy to peel away from the greaseproof paper after cooking. If they are sticking, cook for a further few minutes.
This recipe will make 1 big pavlova if you would like to do a sharing pavlova.
Or 12 individual portions.
For 6 people, half the meringue recipe and 400 grams of the cream.
Keywords: Strawberry pavlova with cream
Sign up for PopUp Chef's latest recipes and chef secrets!
Enter your name & email.