I first tried this dish in a Japanese restaurant in Sheffield and I was surprised how well miso and aubergine went together. So I had to recreate the dish and boy is it good.
The soft aubergine flesh with the sweet miso is a real indulgence. Again surprisingly easy to make and delicious.
I make the miso sauce like you would for the classic Nobu “Black Miso Cod” recipe. It keeps for 3 weeks in an air-tight container in the fridge so you can use it multiple times and trust me, you will want to.
Once your miso marinade is cooked and cooling, you can bake the aubergines. Season with salt and pepper and fry in a shallow pan until a little golden brown. Bake for 45 minutes at 170°c for 45 minutes.
Once your aubergines are baked, spread miso marinade over the flesh of the aubergine and grill for 5 minutes. sprinkle with chives and toasted sesame seeds and it’s ready to serve.
A great delicious starter for a Japanese dinner and very easy to make.
The soft aubergine will almost melt in your mouth with the silky miso marinade, a real tasty treat.Print
Sweet miso with soft aubergine, delicious.
4 x Aubergines
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp of chopped chives
Sweet Miso Marinade
225ml white miso paste
112 grams of sugar
Sweet Miso Marinade
- Bring to boil the mirin and sake for a few minutes.
- Add the white miso paste & sugar, turn down the heat and whisk gently together.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then take off the heat and cool.
- Cool in a fridge. (keeps for 3 weeks in an airtight container)
- Heat your oven to 170°c
- Season your aubergines with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Fry in a shallow pan, flesh side down for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Bake in the oven at 170°c for 45 minutes.
- Take out the aubergines from the oven and put the oven on the grill setting.
- Cover your aubergines generously with the miso marinade and grill for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives and toasted sesame seeds.
You can make the Miso marinade days ahead before, keep in an airtight container in the fridge. Keeps for 3 weeks.
You will have extra Miso marinade. Makes enough for 8-10 portions.
Marinade pieces of cod, salmon or seabass for 2 days and grill for another alternative use.
Keywords: Sweet Miso baked aubergine
Sign up for PopUp Chef's latest recipes and chef secrets!
Enter your name & email.