Sometimes all you need is a little inspiration and this brunch recipe was exactly that, from a Facebook group I’m apart of. I adapted it slightly, adding some cheese to the mix, obviously.
The sweet potato and cheese rosti, smashed avocado and poached egg goes so well together. It really is a delight to eat.
A rosti is basically, a grated potato and in this case, grated sweet potato, mixed with cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
Then you pat it into a ring on a tray and bake for 10 minutes on the grill, setting each side.
Half an avocado, take out the stone and peel back the skin. Then smash it up in a bowl with a fork, add lime, salt and pepper.
When your sweet potato rosti is nearly ready, poach some eggs for 3 to 4 minutes in slightly simmering water. Drain with a slotted spoon when firm yet a little soft for a runny yolk.
Assemble your baked sweet potato rosti with a good dollop of guacamole and poached egg on top. Serve and devour.Print
Great for a sexy brunch or breakfast.
400 grams of sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes).
70 grams of cheddar cheese
2 x eggs
2 x avocado
1 x lime juice
4 x eggs (for poaching)
Sweet Potato Rosti.
- Peel and then grate your sweet potato into a bowl.
- Grate the cheese and add to the bowl.
- Add 2 whole eggs and season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Place the greaseproof paper onto a baking sheet and pat 4 equal circles of sweet potato rosti mix into them.
- Bake at 180°c on the grill setting for 10 minutes each side.
Meanwhile, Avocado Guacamole
- Half the avocado, take out the stone, and half again, peel the skin away.
- Smash the avocado with a fork in a bowl, add lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Set aside, ready to assemble.
- In a 3-inch shallow pan, heat some water to simmer. (Enough to cover the eggs)
- Crack your eggs into small bowls.
- Make sure the water is not boiling and slowly drop your eggs into the water.
- Leave to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Check with a slotted spoon, you want the eggs to be firm with a slightly soft yolk so it is still a little runny.
- Place your baked sweet potato onto a plate.
- Add a good dollop of guacamole.
- Then place your poached egg on top.
- Serve and devour.
Try to time when your sweet potato rosti is 4 to 5 minutes away from being cooked to cook your poached eggs.
Add a little bacon or some nice grilled Cumberland sausages if you fancy some meat as an addition.
Or some nice steamed spinach or broccolini on the side.
Keywords: Sweet potato rosti with guacamole & poached egg
Sign up for PopUp Chef's latest recipes and chef secrets!
Enter your name & email.